( Approved consultant by Government of Punjab ) ( Registered by Government of India )



Starting on January 1st, 2015, Federal Skilled Worker category comes under Express Entry.

Selection Factors

To be selected under the FSW program, applicants who possess sufficient work experience and language proficiency must accumulate a minimum of 67 points on the skilled worker selection grid, which allocates points for education, language, employment experience, age, arranged Canadian employment and adaptability.

Education – Maximum of 25 points

The maximum number of points awarded for education is 25, with maximum points awarded to applicants with doctoral degrees. Foreign credentials will be evaluated by a designated third party to determine their Canadian equivalent and points will be awarded based on that equivalence. At this time, organizations designated for credential evaluation are:

  • Comparative Education Service: University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies.
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada.
  • World Education Services.
  • Medical Council of Canada.

Language – Minimum threshold of 16 points, Maximum of 28 points

Only applicants capable of demonstrating an intermediate to high level proficiency in one of Canada’s official languages, English or French will be considered. Applicants who meet the minimum threshold must score at least 16 points under this selection factor. Higher language proficiency can lead to an allocation of up to 24 points.

The benefits of bilingualism are considered marginal to an individual’s successful economic establishment in Canada and the new point system limits points for a second official language to a maximum of 4.

Employment Experience – Minimum of 9 points, Maximum of 15 points

The new program requires a minimum of 1-year to qualify and the maximum consideration is 6-years.

Age – Maximum of 12 points

Up to 12 points will be allotted to candidates between the ages of 18 and 35 years. Each year above the age of 35 will reduce the allocation by 1, with no points being awarded as of age 47.

Arranged Employment – 0 or 10 points

Points are allotted to individuals with a validated offer of employment in Canada. In an effort to streamline labour market related processes and reduce processing times for employers and their potential employees, the Arranged Employment Opinion process will be replaced with the Labour Market Opinion (LMO) employment validation process which is generally used in processing applications for Canadian work permits.

In order to validate an employment offer and obtain points for this selection factor, a candidate’s proposed employer must demonstrate to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada that the hiring of a foreign worker will have neutral or positive economic effects on the local labour market.

Candidates with a validated employment offer will gain 10 points under this factor, and an additional 5 points in the Adaptability selection factor for a total of 15 points.

Adaptability – Maximum of 10 points

Applicants who have at least 1 year of full time Canadian work experience in a managerial, professional, technical or skilled trade occupation will be awarded maximum points. As mentioned above, a validated offer of employment will provide 5 adaptability points. Other considerations awarding points under this selection factor include: A close adult relative living in Canada, Applicant or spouse has studied in Canada, Spouse has previous Canadian work experience, Spouse has knowledge of one of Canada’s official languages.

Proof of funds – Federal skilled workers

You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada. You cannot borrow this money from another person. You will need to show proof to the Canadian visa office in your home country that you have enough money when you apply to immigrate.

The amount of money you need to support your family is set by the size of your family.

Number of Family Members Funds Required (in Canadian dollars)
1 $11,824
2 $14,720
3 $18,097
4 $21,971
5 $24,920
6 $28,105
7 or more $31,291

Skilled Worker Selection Grid

Factor Score Final
(Canadian equivalence established by a designated third party)
Doctorate 25  
Master’s or professional degree 23  
Two or more post-secondary degrees, of which one is three years or longer 22  
A three year or longer post-secondary degree 21  
A two-year post-secondary diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship 19  
A one-year post-secondary diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship 15  
Secondary School Educational Credential 5  
LANGUAGE (Abilities: Speak, Read, Write, Listen) Max. 28  
1st Lang Very high proficiency (per ability) (CLB 9) 6  
High proficiency (per ability) (CLB 8) 5  
Intermediate proficiency (per ability) (CLB 7)**Minimum threshold required to apply 4  
Basic or no proficiency 0  
Possible maximum (all four abilities) 24  
2ndLang No proficiency 0  
Possible maximum (all four abilities) 4  
EXPERIENCE (NOC Skill Level O,A,B) Max. 15  
One year**Minimum threshold required to apply 9  
Two to three years 11  
Four to five years 13  
Six years or more 15  
AGE Max. 12  
18 to 35 years 12  
36 years 11  
Less one point per year until 47 years  
HRSDC-confirmed permanent offer of employment 10  
Applicants from within Canada holding a temporary work permit that is :
Validated by HRSDC, including sectoral confirmations 10  
Exempt from HRSDC validation under international agreements (e.g., NAFTA) 10  
Applicant has a minimum of 1 year skilled Work experience in Canada 10  
Applicant has previously studied in Canada 5  
Spouse has previously studied in Canada 5  
Spouse has previously worked in Canada 5  
Family relation over the age of 18 in Canada 5  
Arranged employment 5  
Spouse is proficient in an official language 5  
Total 100  

CIC policy confirms that the Federal Skilled Worker Program, while well-tailored to select highly educated individuals, does not favour applications from the skilled trades. In an effort to ensure the Canadian labour market attracts sufficient trades workers, qualified trades’ candidates may now apply for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

Persons interested in applying for permanent residence are invited to communicate with us at their convenience and/or to complete an assessment questionnaire. Upon receipt we will assess your options.


Starting on January 1st, 2015, Federal Skilled Worker category will accept ALL OCCUPATION under National Occupation Clarification (NOC) Category O, A & B and has no capping limit.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is considered as a permanent resident (PR) of Canada?

A PR is a person who has entered Canada on an immigrant visa. You are considered a PR on the date you first arrived in Canada as an immigrant. To be considered as a PR, you must have met the residency requirements under section 28 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Can I travel to Canada with an expired Permanent Resident (PR) card?

No, you cannot travel to Canada with an expired PR Card. If your PR card is no longer valid and you wish to travel to Canada, you must apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) at the Canadian Visa Office responsible for your country of citizenship or the country in which you have been legally admitted. If it has been determined that you meet the residency obligations, you will be provided with the travel document that will facilitate your entry to Canada.

When I arrive in Canada, are there any services to help me?

Every province and city is equipped with multiple services and organizations meant to help newcomers to Canada. Refer to the landing guide for the province where you plan to arrive in Canada for complete listings.

How do I obtain Health Care?

All provinces and territories in Canada have a public health insurance plan to cover basic medical needs. However, you may have to wait up to three months after you arrive before the health insurance begins in some provinces. Make it a priority to apply for health care for yourself and your family as soon as you arrive. In addition, purchase some form of private health insurance from an insurance company for security in case of emergencies until your provincial health care plan begins. Refer to the Health section of the provincial landing guide where you will be living in Canada for province-specific instructions on how to obtain your health insurance.

What do I need to do to start working in Canada?

In order to work anywhere in Canada, you will require a Social Insurance Number (SIN). Apply for your SIN card immediately after you arrive in Canada. For instructions, visit the Service Canada website.

How do I become a Canadian Citizen?

Before applying to become a Canadian citizen, you must have resided in Canada for 1,095 days, or three years. Please refer to the Canadian Citizenship page for complete details on requirements, your eligibility and the application procedure.

I do not know where to live in Canada. Where do I start?

Canada is a huge country, with diverse cultures, communities, climates and employment opportunities. Begin researching these details by reading the About Canada pages. It is important that you move to an area where you can obtain employment. You should also do some research on the internet the average cost of living in different regions of Canada. Ensure that you move to a region that is affordable, close to places of employment and schools.

What do I need to have prepared when I arrive in Canada?

When you arrive in Canada make sure that you have all necessary immigration and identity documents on your person and not in your checked luggage, so that you may present all documents to the Customs and Immigration officer at the airport or border without complication. It is also important to have arranged in advance for a place for you and your family to stay during your first days in Canada as you will be tired from the long trip. Homes of friends and family are ideal, as are short term apartments or hotels.

Can I bring my family pet with me to Canada?

There are strict rules about bringing animals, food, and plants into Canada. Before you arrive, contact :
Canadian Food Inspection Agency,
Animal Health
Agriculture Canada
59 Camelot Drive
Nepean, Ontario
K1A 0Y9

Can I bring my car into Canada?

Transport Canada has pollution and safety control standards which does not allow some cars into Canada. It is also necessary to have a valid driver’s license, car registration and accident record from your insurance company. Contact Transport Canada for complete instructions :
Transport Canada
Place de Ville, Tower C
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N5
(613) 990-2309

I have school aged children, how do I send them to school?

All children between the ages of 4 and 16 to 18 years, depending on province, are required by law to attend school. The school year runs from September through June. Registration can be held as early as February previous to the September academic year. Every region of Canada has its own school boards. You will have to contact the local school board where you intend to live for complete details.

I have been a permanent resident (PR) for less than five years. How will my five-year period be calculated?

If it has been less than five years since you became a permanent resident of Canada, the five-year period will be calculated from the date of your landing, and the officer will consider whether it is possible that you could accumulate 730 days before the end of that five-year period.

How long will I have to wait before I receive my PR Card?

Generally, it takes about 51 days to process PR cards for new permanent residents once CIC receives a complete aplication package from individuals who have fulfilled their residency requirements. Applications for renewed PR Cards can take much longer, generally 103 days. You can find up-to-date application processing times on the CIC website.

success stories

Service provided by the entire team of SWICS was very good . They helped... read more

SWICS is just the right place to be when it comes to assistance in... read more

SWICS assisted me in obtaining an offer from the desired university... read more

read all