You can be granted a residence permit in order to follow a higher educational programme in Denmark.


In order to be granted a residence permit you must document :

  • That you have been admitted to a higher educational programme which has been approved by a state authority or which is offered by a publicly accredited educational institution
  • That you can speak and understand the language of instruction and have a working knowledge of either Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English or German
  • That you can support yourself with your own means for the duration of your stay in Denmark. If you are to study in Denmark for one year, you must document that you have at your disposal an amount equivalent to DKK 50,000. If you are to study in Denmark for less than one year, you must show DKK 4,200 multiplied by the number of months you will stay in Denmark. That is, if you will stay in Denmark for six months, you must document that you have at your disposal the equivalent of 6 x DKK 4,200 = DKK 25,200

If you are to pay a tuition fee yourself, you can document that you have paid the tuition fee for the first semester or year, instead of documenting that you can support yourself. Please note that as a foreign student in Denmark, you may not receive public assistance / benefit payments. If you do so, your residence permit can be revoked.

Note : As per Danish law , Student must pay minimum 1 semester or 6 months fee in advance.


Normally, the term 'higher educational programme' is used when the conditions for admission into the programme require you to have completed upper secondary school or the equivalent.

Bachelor Degree / Master Degree / Phd / Diploma Comes into Higher Education Program .

If the educational programme is included in the coordinated application system for admission, which is administered by the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Higher Education, then the programme will normally be regarded as 'higher' in connection with the application for a residence permit.


In some cases, the Danish Agency for Labor Retention and International Recruitment may grant you a residence permit for a preparatory course to a higher educational programme. The following conditions apply :

  • The Ministry of Science, Innovation and Higher Education must have determined that participation in the preparatory course is an admission requirement in order to follow the higher educational programme
  • You must already have been accepted at the educational programme to which the preparatory course is connected
  • The duration of the preparatory course must be no more than one year


The duration of your residence permit depends on whether you are going to complete an entire educational programme, or only follow part of a programme as a guest student.

If you are to complete an entire programme you will be granted a residence permit for the duration of the programme.

If, on the other hand, you are only to follow part of a programme, the residence permit will be granted for the duration of the part you are to follow.

If you are to follow a preparatory course, your residence permit will be granted for the duration of the course.


If you have been granted a residence permit in order to complete a higher educational programme in Denmark, your residence permit will be valid for an additional six months after you complete the programme. This is to allow you to look for work in Denmark.

If you complete a higher educational programme in Denmark and you have not previously been granted the additional six months' residence permit, you can have your residence permit extended by six months in order to look for work.



If you hold a residence permit as a student at a higher educational programme, you can usually bring your family with you to Denmark.

A residence permit can be granted to your spouse, registered partner or cohabiting partner as well as your children under the age of 18, who are living with you.

Your accompanying family member does not need to apply for a work permit, as the residence permit includes the right to work or study during the stay in Denmark.

Your family members cannot be granted a residence permit if they apply during your job search period. However, if they were granted a residence permit while you were studying, it will still be valid for the additional six months of the job search period.


You and your family must live together at the same address in Denmark. Furthermore, you must be able to support your family financially and must be able to document this. Consequently, your family may not receive public assistance under the terms of the Active Social Policy Act (social benefits).


An application for a residence permit as an accompanying family member must include the following :

  • Marriage certificate (for spouses or registered partners)
  • Birth certificate (for children under 18)
  • Letter of consent from the other custody holder, if you and the other parent have joint custody of the child, and the child is travelling with you only (for children under 18)
  • Documentation that you can support your family member. You must document that you have at your disposal DKK 25,200 per accompanying family member. Documentation can be a bank statement. Please note: The bank account must be in your (the student's) name


The residence permit for your accompanying family member can be extended along with your own permit, if all conditions are still being met. The time period of your family member's permit will match yours.

The residence permit of your accompanying child under the age of 18 can be extended beyond the age of 18, if he/she is still living with you.


As a foreign student following a higher educational programme or a required preparatory course, you are allowed to work 15 hours a week, as well as full-time during the months of June, July and August. The same applies during the job-seeking period after the completion of your educational programme. It will say on your residence card whether or not you are allowed to work.

If you work illegally in Denmark, e.g. by working more than the allowed number of hours, the Danish Agency for Labor Retention and International Recruitment may revoke or refuse to extend your residence permit. This can happen even if you otherwise meet the conditions for your residence permit, e.g. if you are still actively enrolled in your course or study programme.

If you work illegally in Denmark, you risk deportation, and you and your employer risk fine or imprisonment.


Danish embassy takes 8 weeks to process visa application .

The service goal is calculated starting from the date the agency receives a fully completed application. An application is considered fully completed if it contains all required information, has been signed correctly, and includes all required documentation.


You can submit an appeal with the relevant appeals authority.

To appeal the Danish Agency for Labor Market and Recruitment rejections of applications for residence permits based on employment or self-employment, or residence permits based on study, an au pair stay, an internship, a volunteer position or a working holiday, you can submit the appeal to :

The Immigration Appeals Board
Adelgade 13
1304 Copenhagen K
Tel.: +45 33 92 33 34
Email: udln@udln.dk


If your appeal is to be reviewed by the Immigration Appeals Board, it must be submitted no later than eight weeks after you have received the decision.


You can submit an appeal with the relevant appeals authority.

The appeal should contain the applicant's personal ID, the case number, the applicant's alien identification number or IVR number and a copy of the decision.

In order to reduce the amount of time it takes the Ministry of Justice to process an appeal regarding short-term visa cases, documents submitted in connection with an appeal should be translated to Danish, English, French or German.

Students, including PhD students DKK 1,700
(€ 228)
Accompanying family members of workers, students, researchers and interns DKK 2,095
(€ 281)
Appeals - over decisions made by the Danish Immigration Service or the Danish Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment on one of the application types above (no. 1-19) DKK 795
(€ 107)
Request to reopen a case belonging to a case category listed above (no. 1-20) DKK 795
(€ 107)
Additional Fee : VFS Charges / Courier Charges / Biometric Charges / Travelling Expanses to New Delhi Are extra as applicable.


Type of Expanses Denish Crown INR
( 1 DKK = INR 10.45 )
Tuition Fee ( 1 Years ) including Health Insurance.    
Living Expenses ( Student ) - 1 Year DKK 50000  
Living Expenses ( Spouse ) - 1 Year DKK 25200  
Living Expenses ( Dependent Children - Under Age of 18 years ) DKK 25200  
Air Fare   Rs. 70,000 per person.
Fee Paid ( Minimum 6 Months)    
Net Total    

Note : All funds should be in bank (Saving account of student). No FDR / NSC / Property acceptable.

If student avail bank loan, then first bank loan should be disbursed and credited into student account.

Tuition Fee : ( For Higher Education ) - For AP Program / Bachelor / Master Program
For Academics Varies between Euro 8500 to 11000
For University Colleges Euro 10,000 to 15000
For University Euro 14000 to Euro 22000
Application Fee: Mostly Euro 100 to 150 ( Non Refundable) for all colleges.
SWICS & Danish Advocate Charges.
Note : SWICS Working in association with Danish Advocate . We take responsibility of admission / visa processing.
Registration Euro 300
On Admission Euro : 300
Granting of Residency Permit Euro 500
Note : Spouse and Dependent Children Fee is Separate i.e Euro 1000 Per Person.

Fee For Apostle Extra - Rs. 1500 Per Document

Visa Success

View More

Certified Agent

End-to-end Support

True & Transparent

Fast Visa Application


SCF 66, 2nd & 3rd Floor, Phase -5,
S.A.S. Nagar, Mohali, Punjab,
India -160059

+919696600700 +918872198500
+918872198400 +918872198300


© 2022 SWICS.ORG. All Rights Reserved.

Designed by: AMS Informatics